The whole issue is that due to tram rails bending differently than road
ways, the tram rails are mapped on their own OSM ways. This gives a nicely
detailed rendering, a better description of reality, but now the
information that for the straight parts the rails are embedded into the
highway is missing. It's just a model, not a highly detailed architectural
plan.

I would also be in favour of not using railway=*,

embedded_rails conveys more information without going into conflict with
the railway ways. We don't want to render them 3 times if there are 2
tracks.

Polyglot