On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 10:20:35PM +0100, Claudius Henrichs wrote:
> I couldn't be happier to have the "Benefits of namespaces" discussion
> happening right now on this ML.
>
> I am about to finalize a tagging proposal for a new sub-tag. I am wondering
> about the pros and cons of the traditional "OSM tag chain" (foo=bar +
> bar=baz) versus "Laymans namespacing" (foo=bar + bar:type=baz). I've laid
> out what I found on the forum and would be curious to learn what your
> recommendation be.

the OSM tag chain should be imho used only for very common things because each
member
of the chain will turn up as a "top level" tag in the database and taginfo.
If used extensively for attributes I would consider it polution of the database.
It is also much less flexible as you can specify only one attribute at a time.

Richard