" I would think all of these should come under natural=xxxxx, & should be
mapped as they are named: =headland, =cape, =peninsula, =promontory etc etc
"

+1 That's been my general practice as well. The designations of cape,
point, peninsula, headland, etc., are all arbitrary and come from
historical usage.

On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 4:14 AM Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Dec 2018 at 19:05, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> > Is there an upper cut-off where things stop being a peninsula?
>>
>> Hmmm ... not really.
>>
>> No indeed! When I did some looking into it, Europe can actually be
> considered to be a peninsula off Asia!
>

>> is there a difference to a “cape”? What about a promontory? Shall we
>> distinguish these, and if yes how and according to which criteria?
>>

> Same thing then applies to headland & isthmus? The natural=cape wiki makes
> reference to See Also natural-isthmus (but the page doesn't exist!) & lists
> natural=headland (also doesn't exist) as a Possible Tagging Mistake. Why?
>
> When I've looked at a few headlands I know, a couple of them are listed as
> place=locality, name=Indian Head, which, to me, doesn't really ring true?
>
> I would think all of these should come under natural=xxxxx, & should be
> mapped as they are named: =headland, =cape, =peninsula, =promontory etc etc
>
> Thanks
>
> Graeme

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska