On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 at 08:41, Axelos <axe...@broman.fr> wrote:

> This is not the same usage, but uses that complement each other.
>
> Super-route: Linking international routes
> Route hierarchy: exploit other routes

I agree that the main reason superroute was invented was to link
international routes.  I agree that
the documentation on the wiki might be read as implying that this is the
only use.  However, take
a close look at what the first paragraph of
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Super-Relation
says and doesn't say:

A *super-relation* is a relation
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation> that contains other
relations. Relations <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations> have
initially been created to contain nodes
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Node>, ways
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Way> or areas
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Area> and combinations thereof.

Nothing there about being only for linking international routes.  It
doesn't even mention international
routes.  It says, quite explicitly that it is a relation that contains
other relations.  Which is what your
proposal wants to do.  Further down that page it does mention international
routes, but as ONE
example of how super-relations may be used.  And then it links to other
pages telling you how
to implement a super-relation of routes using type=superroute.

If you wanted to create a nested relation hierarchy of objects that are not
routes, your proposal
might have merit, because using superroute to nest relations of non-routes
is counterintuitive.
But you want nested routes, and that is exactly what superroute is for.

If you trawl through all the discussion about superroute over the years,
you'll find people arguing that
it is useful and sensible (I agree).  You'll also find people arguing that
it is evil, should be
extirpated, and that people who use it should be blocked from ever using
OSM again, as should
their children and their children's children, even unto the fifth
generation.  So if you use superroute,
which does EXACTLY what you want to do, some people will be unhappy.  If
you invent a new tag
to do EXACTLY the same thing as superroute then everyone will be unhappy,
whether they think
superroute is a good idea or a bad idea.  Your time would be better spent
documenting superroute
with greater clarity.

--
Paul