At the danger of throwing a spanner in the works (or better sabots :-)):
there is an ongoing discussion on place mapping. Mainly taking place
here https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/2816

Essentially  the relationship between administrative divisions and
places/settlements is complicated and while we have working tagging for
administrative entities (and for them I would normally suggest following
whatever the "official" hierarchy and designation is), our place
modelling is a bit of a mess, which among other issue has led to
administrative boundaries being used for places.

In any case, on your original question, I would tend towards a national
consensus that doesn't deviate too much from the population guidelines
in the wiki, if at all reasonable. The US-Hamlet usage is an oddity
that, IMHO, should not serve as a role model.

Simon