No magic, the preset has curated values for the subtags (which is
naturally possible in iD too) most of them have historically been
gleaned from the wiki or from actual use.  The upside and the downside
of this is that they are curated, so there is always a certain lag
between a value being used in the wild and it turning up in the preset.

Simon