> =drain
> suggested: Use waterway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway>
> =drain for artificial waterways
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Waterways>, typically lined with
> concrete or similar, usually used to carry water for drainage or
> irrigation purposes.
>
> =ditch
> suggested: Use waterway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway>
> =ditch for simple narrow artificial waterways
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Waterways>, typically unlined,
> usually used to remove storm-water or similar from nearby land. Ditches
> are usually straight (as opposed to natural streams). They may contain
> little water or even be dry most of the year – to mark this intermittent
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:intermittent>=yes may be used.

I don't know if that was done on purpose of by mistake but these
definitions are mixed up a bit. It is ditches that are used for irrigation,
not drains.
I would suggest to define them as follows.

canal - large man-made open flow (free flow vs pipe flow) waterways used to
carry useful water for transportation, hydro-power generation, irrigation
or land drainage purposes. consider using waterway=ditch for small
irrigation or land drainage channels. consider using waterway=drain for
small lined superflous liquid drainage channels.

drain - small artificial free flow waterways usually lined with concrete or
similar used for carrying away superflous liquid like rain water or
industrial discharge. consider using waterway=ditch for unlined channels
used to drain nearby land. consider using waterway=canal for large unlined
land drainage channels.

ditch - small artificial free flow unlined waterways used for irrigating or
draining land as well as for deviding land. consider using waterway=canal
for large irrigation or land drainage channels. consider using
waterway=drain for lined superflous liquid drainage channels.

No need to introduce any new tags.

Eugene