On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 at 10:19, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > On 23. Jan 2019, at 22:35, Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > According to the wiki, they're not
> > based on services either.
>

> if the wiki says it explicitly like this we should fix it.

Just looking & it's a mixture, & also a bit of a mess

=city: the largest settlement or settlements within a territory

=town: an important urban centre ... normally have a good range of shops
and facilities which are used by people from nearby villages.

=village: A settlement with between 1,000 and 10,000 inhabitants

=hamlet: an isolated settlement, typically with less than 100-200
inhabitants

=isolated_dwelling: the smallest kind of human settlement. They are outside
other settlements ... must not consist of more than 2 households

=locality:  an unpopulated location (but the example photo is of an
inhabited village!)

I would suggest we remove all reference to number of inhabitants, & base
the decision on each mappers own recognition of how "important" this place
is, so an isolated "village" with only a few hundred people in it, but
which is the main centre for this area will be a town, & maybe even a city?

I'm happy to have a go at them if we're willing?

Thanks

Graeme