Hi Viking,

Good question, here is the situation in many French places.

As Paul mentioned for British hydrants, it is now mandatory to put signs
next to hydrants in French also.
The roll out of such began in Paris :
https://twitter.com/InfosReseaux/status/1061630374328131585
The displayed diameter is the diameter of the water main feeding the
hydrant (the big water main going along the street, not the hydrant
connecting pipe).
I already found diameters like 900mm displayed on such signs.

Manufacturers of hydrants like Bayard or Pont a Mousson also display a
diameter on the hydrant itself (molded or painted)
It corresponds to the hydrant connecting pipe diameter and may often differ
from the diameter displayed on the signs next to it.

Hydrants data models normalised in France for emergency and rescue services
includes the second one, not the water main diameter.
=> I choose this one for fire_hydrant:diameter

Le jeu. 24 janv. 2019 à 19:36, Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Note that the diameter on the sign is of the water main, *not* the
> hydrant coupling.  That is
> standardized at 64mm (2.5 inch) across the UK.

Let's make it even more clearer, I see at least 3 possible diameter
regarding a given fire hydrant :
- The water main diameter going along the street and (among other things)
feed hydrants (going from DN50 to DN1200 in France)
- The water connecting pipe between the water main and the hydrant
(normalised at DN100 in France)
- The hydrant couplings where firefighters connect their equipment.
(normalised at DN80 in France if I remember well)

All the best

François