On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 at 10:53, Eugene Podshivalov <yauge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There are distinctions between these two terms, otherwise they would not
> be defined separately.
> In simple words, a ditch is a small open-air man-made or self-formed
> channel in the ground for absolutely any purpose, both lined or unlined
> entirely or partially.

Ummmm, maybe.  Maybe not.

Part of the problem, of course, is that English dictionaries are
descriptive, not proscriptive:
if words are misused in English frequently enough, that misuse becomes one
of the word's
meanings (which is why "cleave" is its own antonym).  The fact that "ditch"
and "drain" are
often used interchangeably these days doesn't mean that there isn't a
meaningful
distinction.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ditch and
https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/190527/difference-between-ditch-trench-and-gutter
- a ditch is a simple, unlined trench for the purpose
of drainage or irrigation.  A salient characteristic is that it is
unlined.  It is used to drain (mainly)
agricultural fields with a high water table.  The fact that it is unlined
means that water can seep
through the side of the ditch and then flow away.  A lined ditch would not
work (only water above
the lining could seep into the ditch rather than across the whole height of
the ditch).  Irrigation
is the same thing in reverse - a lined ditch wouldn't work as well.

A drain is lined to *prevent* seepage.  At its smallest, it is a roadside
gutter (open drain) which
usually has frequent openings to underground drains.  Or it may be a small
channel.  The
distinction between a drain and a canal is one we can spend months arguing
about. :)

>From everything said here and everything I've found on the internet I'd say
that lined/unlined
is the only distinguishing characteristic between ditch and drain.  Size is
irrelevant.  There
is a real difference in purpose and on-the-ground appearance between a
channel
designed to allow seepage to/from the land it passes through and one that
is not.

Yes, some mis-tagging is inevitable.  If you're using aerial imagery it's
hard to tell if
something is lined or unlined.  Or even if it's part of a stream that has
been artificially
straightened. But you can make a fairly good guess in most instances.  We
also have
to acknowledge that we rarely achieve perfection but do the best we can and
hope any errors
are corrected later.  If we throw away the distinction (they're all drains)
it will be harder to
fix than if we keep the distinction and realize that there will be
occasional errors.

Yes, we could switch to calling them all drains and then adding
lined=yes/no, but we already
have ditch and drain.  I think it's better to fix the wiki than do that.

--
Paul