On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 at 17:19, Hufkratzer <hufkrat...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Irrigate with drains? This was the original question of the whole ditch
> vs. drain discussion (see
> (
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2019-January/042047.html).
>
> It seems to be a contradiction to what wikipedia explains (and therefore
> is difficult to remember):

As I see it, ditches are unlined.  They're essentially trenches that are
intended to have water in
them.  In areas with a lot of rain (like mine) they allow for the drainage
of fields where the water
table is close to the surface.  In dry countries they can serve the purpose
of irrigation (in which
case they tend to be interwoven with fields rather than at the edges).  We
don't have words for
"big ditches" or "very big ditches", they're just ditches.

As I see it, drains are lined.  They're intended to transport water from A
to B either for the purposes
of drainage or irrigation.  Which is a little counter-intuitive, until you
think of a drain connecting
a reservoir of water higher than a field to one or more ditches around or
in that field.  You build
a drain rather than a ditch in that case because you don't want the water
seeping away between
the reservoir and the irrigation ditches.  But it's still a drain because
it's draining the reservoir
(that's the bit that's counter-intuitive until you think about what is
being drained).  If it's a big drain
then it might be better tagged as a canal (that's a different endless
discussion we can have in
another thread).

Trying to call big ditches drains is, in my opinion, a bad move.  Ditches
are permeable and
drains are not.  Ditches allow the seepage of water to or from the ditch
and the land surrounding
it; drains prevent such seepage.  Lined/unlined (alternatively seepage/no
seepage) are the key
distinctions.  Maybe we need a way of specifying the width to avoid people
tagging a ditch as
a drain, or vice versa, to achieve different rendering.

--
Paul