I am not happy with the assumption that a path on the map without
indication that it is open to the public is better than not having it on
the map at all.
This is only true if the former is labelled as such (access=unknown).
Otherwise its useless information. Think about it: You wouldn't think for a
moment about inserting a road (for cars) without knowing it is open for the
intended traffic, would you?
I am frequently using routing for bicycle and, unfortunately, I note that
there are many more access status errors on paths/footways/tracks in the
map than for roads for motorized traffic.
If we as OSM community want to make use of our potentially better coverage
for foot and bicycle traffic, then we need to improve our mapping quality
for minor highways.

Another thing:
Greg writes:
" "highway=footway" has exactly the same
semantics as "highway=path foot=designated". ...Note that both leave
bicycle and horse as
implicit"
I think this is wrong: highway=footway excludes bicycle, or at least the
footway wiki page is misleading, as the photo shows clearly a footway with
a traffic sign, that explicitly excludes all other types of traffic.

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>