> On Apr 19, 2019, at 4:58 AM, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Part of that is that as our population has grown, so have our
> settlements, to where we have to give greater respect to the
> boundaries between them.
>

> The administrative boundaries do, of course give rise to corner cases.

Where I lived in San Diego is is the “unincorporated” area of Grossmont / Mt
Helix, and my location was outside the city, only in the county of San Deigo.

La Mesa absorbed the old “Grossmont” post office and the entire area is covered
by the La Mesa Postal code 91941, though it is not in the city.

Mt Helix - Casa De Oro is a recognized census place, and Grossmont is an (old)
recognized place, but all are served by the La Mesa post office. the water
service, the postal service, the school districts, and the city boundaries are
all different.

none of this affects the tagging of villages and other residential areas. Those
boundaries and postal address are something else entirely.

trying to relate “post offices” to an actual city or address is very difficult.
the village/neighborhood/hamlet of “Grossmont” is not  a valid city for the
USPS, but is still a named location (in OSM and other GIS services) - and
should be mapped as the appropriate town/village/hamlet/quarter etc), not
place=locality.

But when you have named places that have no residents (so not a village) but
hold some local or greater meaning (such as the stations of Mt Fuji) and are
more than the geologic or man made feature that gave them their name (the
stations were originally building names, but now they are are much more
important navigation aids for hikers, even when the buildings are gone),
place=locality is the solution.

all of the old names and old villages make mapping more difficult (every 3
blocks there is a new “quarter” here in Japan! it is so dense!), but please do
not equate place mapping as somehow dependent on postal addressing boundaries.
^_^

Javbw