The water flowing through it is still river water.

On 24/04/2019 20:47, François Lacombe wrote:
Hi Dave

I'm happy to tag as canal the man_made space between two lock gates.
This is often concrete lined and sized accordingly to allow boats to pass
through.

The main difference with rivers going through cities is it's often the
original natural course.
A canal is built by man, Thames river wasn't built by man I think,
Locks usually does.

To me it's more confusing to tag lock gates and dams in waterway key
instead of man_made but it's another topic

All the best

François

Le mer. 24 avr. 2019 à 20:40, Dave F via Tagging <tagging@openstreetmap.org>