Le jeu. 25 avr. 2019 à 18:49, Andy Mabbett <a...@pigsonthewing.org.uk> a
écrit :

> The River Tame, in North Birmingham and in the urban areas north of
> the city, has several sections, some concrete-sided and some looking
> entirely natural, that are nowhere near its original course.

Ok this is a good point

Despite waterway=* tag doesn't regard the usage it is made of water, there
is always a purpose and the water is useful.
In case of Tame (or Thames in London, Seine in Paris, Rhine...), the water
isn't channelized for a given purpose then I would rather call it a river
(Rhine and Rhone rivers do have side channels for hydropower, locks...)

To me, current tagging is defined as follow:
waterway=river/stream => "natural" water course
waterway=canal => artificial water channel for a given purpose
waterway=drain => useless water evacuation (mainly rain)

François