Based on everyone's comments, I've tried editing the page again. Now
there are two main sections: a short section that defines "What is
Verifiability?, then all of the Examples. The main change is that I
added 2 bullet points to the "What is?" section, pulled from the 2
older examples about buildings and waterways, and I removed one of my
new examples (ridges):

"Verifiability is an important concept to OpenStreetMap. OSM data
should, as far as is reasonably possible, be verifiable. This is a
good practice guideline covering all mapping activity and a policy
governing choices we make about which tags are used and gain
acceptance."

[Contents]

What is Verifiability?

At the core, "verifiability" is that everything you do can be
demonstrated to be true or false by other mappers - the latter
hopefully implying that there has been a change on the ground that
needs mapping.

- We apply this not only to the mapping data itself, but also to the
way in which we record it - the geometries, tags and values we use to
describe objects on the map.

- A tag/value combination and geometry is verifiable if and only if
independent users observing the same feature would make the same
observation every time.

- Objective criteria, clearly documented on the wiki, help to make
tagging verifiable by individual mappers.

Examples <new heading>

Objective Criteria: e.g. Building Height <subheading>

It is desirable to have objective criteria for a user's tagging to be
verifiable. This principle applies to any observable characteristic,
be it numerical or descriptive.

For example, buildings come in various sizes. ... <etc>

Improving verifiability by documenting values: e.g. Waterways <subheading>

Clearly documenting tags on the wiki always helps with verifiability.

... <example about waterways>

The one thing that could make the page shorter would be to cut out the
"Problematic Tags" section at the end, which discusses Highways
classification and then calls out "smoothness", "sac_scale", and
"trail_visibility" as problematic. I'm not sure if these examples are
still so relevant now as they were in 2008.

But I don't see how all of the examples could be removed or moved to a
different page. The original page from 2008 was 50% example, because
defining verifiability is hard without practical examples.