Hi all!

I think a value of "access_aisle" is entirely appropriate and that it makes
sense to be a footway, such as highway=footway + footway=access_aisle,
though if there's another new subtype that would be a catch-all for similar
features that would also make sense (e.g. footway=service). Access aisle
carries the same meaning in other English-speaking countries, including
UK-based governmental recommendations on blue badge spaces.

An access aisle is exactly the feature being described: the extra space
given to the side of a parking space for someone who needs more space to
exit. This is *not* solely for wheelchair users, it's also intended for use
by individuals using walkers or who need assistance exiting or entering a
vehicle, etc. I believe the purpose of this tag is so that any data
consumers can ask the question, "where are parking spaces with access
aisles?" and, "how do they connect to other foot ways?" Those same
consumers would probably want to know a width tag as well and possibly the
width of the parking space - it might warrant some research.

So, with that in mind:

- wheelchair=yes on a footway definitely doesn't describe an access aisle.
It means, "this mapper thinks a wheelchair user can use this footway",
which doesn't communicate anything to do with parking amenities.
wheelchair=* is also not that useful of a tag in the first place, because
wheelchair users disagree on what pedestrian features they care about on a
footway.

- wheelchair=designated is in a similar situation in that it doesn't
communicate that it's an access aisle, but a footway primarily intended for
wheelchair users, which also isn't true of an access aisle.

- footway=wheelchair_loading_aisle does communicate that it's a special
wheelchair users.

I'm not sure what term would be a suitable alternative to access aisle,
since it'd need to have these meanings:

- It's a pedestrian space
- It's intended for disability access, which is widely defined and differs
between countries
- It's for passengers entering/exiting vehicles at a parking space.

Best,

Nick