On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 01:23:35 +0100
Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jun 2019 at 23:56, Graeme Fitzpatrick
> <graemefi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 at 04:53, Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Having power_supply=yes indicates that the socket type is unknown,
> >>

> > But wouldn't that default as the country you're in? If you're in
> > Britain, it's a British socket, so you need a "British" plug (or an
> > International adaptor!) to plug in, in Australia an Oz socket & so
> > on.
>
> It's not that simple.  Indoors in the UK it's a BS1363 socket.
> Outdoors on a camp site it will most
> likely be a CEE 17 blue single-phase.  But it's possible you might
> get CEE 17 red three-phase
> in some situations.  I've a vague memory there are other connectors
> used in marine applications.
> Also, although BS1363 connectors are for indoor usage, it's possible
> to get weatherproof
> housings for external use.  So even in just the UK, if a camp site
> says power hook-ups are
> available you can't be sure what connector is used.  Most likely CEE
> 17 blue, but maybe not.
>
> Things get worse in Germany and France, as far as the indoor
> connectors go.  See
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets#CEE_7_standard
> and try to guess what you might get in either country.  I expect they
> also have weatherproof
> housings for external use.
>
> Hence power_supply=yes means there is a hook-up but the mapper
> doesn't know what it is.

In the United States, a "power_supply=yes" is virtually certain to have
a NEMA 5-15 or NEMA 5-20 socket (120-volt, 15-amp or 20-amp).  However,
knowing that is of limited value, since most RVs have either a NEMA
TT-30 (120-volt, 30-amp) or NEMA 14-50 (240 volt split-phase, 50 amp)
plug.  A camp site may have one, both, or neither in addition to the
NEMA 5 socket.

--
Mark