Hi,

Joseph Eisenberg wrote
> I suppose access=private isn’t wrong, but it seems incomplete: many
> government offices do not legally exclude the public, but also do not
> offer public services. For example, the offices of members of the American
> legislature are clearly not public, but anyone in the public can get an
> appointment to visit the legislator from their district. Local government
> offices often allow walk-in visitors, but may not offer any services.

The "access=private" tag does not mean that it is legally forbidden to
access, that it is always forbidden under any circumstances ("access=no").
It means (I think) that the conditions of access are set by the owner. An
appointment, for example, or a certain visiting hours to walk inside the
office are conditions of access that the owner of the office sets
discretionally, privately, i.e. according to his will.

I would use "opening_hours=*" [1] or "reservation=*" [2] to indicate if
there is a visiting hours or if it is necessary to make an appointment in a
private office that does not normally provide services to the general public

Greetings from Spain.

Regards,
Daniel

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Opening_hours