On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 at 12:31, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenb...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Today a new wiki page was created for Tag:craft=artelier and the tag
> was added to Template:Map_Features:craft, which adds this tag to the
> Map Features page. It's been used 15 times. In comparison, studio=art
> has been used 13 times, and studio=creative 17 times, but the author
> of the new page mentions that this may be a problem because
> amenity=studio is also used for TV, Radio and Music recording studios.

The last time I checked (a few days ago) the wiki stated that amenity=studio
is only for TV/Radio/Music studios.  For what I wanted to map,
amenity=arts_centre was the way to go.

In American English I've heard of artist's studios or art workshops,
> but I'd not heard the word "artelier" before today.  (Per Oxford
> online, it's "A workshop or studio, especially one used by an artist
> or designer.")

Atelier is not common in British English either.  I'd never hear of it
before.  It's
also a word that is prone to being mis-spelled as "artelier" it appears.

> So, does this mean it is okay for craft=artelier to be added to the
> official Map Features list? Should it be discussed first?

If somebody hadn't already decided that craft=painter meant house painters
rather than artists, I'd have said use that.  In fact, craft=painter makes
no
sense for house painters, it should be office=painter (or, better,
office=decorator).
If I want somebody to paint my house I expect him to apply paint to my
house, not to his
own office, so he doesn't (normally) perform his craft in his own office.
But it's probably
too late to fix that.  Well, we can (and probably should) deprecate
craft=painter in favour of
office=decorator but it's probably too late to give a new meaning to
craft=painter.

Since we have craft=sculptor and craft=handicraft, then for completeness we
need something for the studios of painters.  OTOH, do we need to map
any of those in the first place?  I've done so, but only in the cases where
the
same building is used as both the place to create the works and as a shop
for those works, and that's because somebody who goes in to buy may be
given the opportunity to see the artist at work.

--
Paul