Josm of course. Is there another relation editor that can handle large nested
route relations spanning up to say 4000 Km? In josm, before the edit I open all
the relations that may be affected, check if they are correct as far as that
section is concerned,  then perform the edit, then apply the change to each
relation and check again if all is well. When I am not in a hurry and the
affected relations have other gaps, I repair those as well.

Mvg Peter Elderson