On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 at 11:56, Johnparis <ok...@johnfreed.com> wrote:

> Hoping this is on topic or close ...

Drifting away.  But you can fix that by saying you will vote against
certain proposals for
route tagging because iD doesn't handle route relations properly. :)

> 1) People have mentioned that iD can now edit relations. How? I've
> searched for tutorials or documentation,

Basic stuff is in iD's help. Click on the question mark at the bottom of
the set of buttons on the
right.  Look at the sections list at the right of the pop-up help pane and
click on Relations.

> and simply tried to drag elements up or down when opening the relation in
> iD's edit mode ... nothing.

Works for me.  Clicked on a road I knew was part of a bus route.  Scrollled
down in the
"Edit feature" pane on the left to get to "All relations."  Clicked on the
appropriate relation
to open it up.  Scrolled down to the list of elements in the route.
Clicked on the title of
one of those elements (it was "Tertiary Road  Priory Street") and dragged
it down (or up,
as the case may be).

(I'm also glad to hear that it no longer ignores the order of relation
> members, sometimes breaking the relation's sorting, which is what got me
> started with JOSM in the first place.)

Ditto.  But I prefer iD for routes now it doesn't break them.  A touch
swings and roundabouts,
but if the route sorting isn't badly broken, I use iD.  The only reason I
haven't deleted
JOSM is that there's a plugin that lets me split forests/woods so I can
give each chunk a
different name.  Many of the larger woods around here have been mapped by
others long ago
but not named.  With the UK's OS OpenData StreetView now available as
background imagery
I can give names to woods and chunks of woods.

2) Pet peeve for JOSM. People have mentioned that it sorts correctly (most
> of the time anyhow) for junction=roundabout. But it fails with
> junction=circular, which is the exact equivalent of junction=roundabout but
> without the restriction that traffic in the circle has the right of way.
> Seems it would be simple to fix?

Raise a ticket with JOSM: https://josm.openstreetmap.de/newticket
Actually, it would be a good
idea to check existing tickets first, in case somebody has already raised
the issue:
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/report

--
Paul