Am Mi., 9. Okt. 2019 um 09:00 Uhr schrieb Colin Smale <colin.sm...@xs4all.nl
>:

> I would just like to make a point about mileages/kilometrages. Physically
> marked positions (e.g. a milestone or a sign with an address) can not be
> replaced by, or derived from, the actual distance along the road.
>
> These distances are not constant. Roads get diverted, split, recombined
> etc which can change the distance AND the zero-point. If you follow the
> hectometer (100m) markers on motorways in the Netherlands you will see
> loads of discontinuities caused by changes through the years. Occasionally,
> where a change makes a road longer, a whole segment is "recalibrated" to
> avoid duplicate markers or gaps. Where a road is made shorter, a "jump" in
> the values is used.

Agreed, I was proposing a term, not referring to the way it is surveyed /
determined. I would not invent myself these numbers, I would copy them from
the gate where they have been put by the owner or municipality (regardless
of actual distances or even if they are in slight contradiction with nearby
road markers, as I have seen occur). If nothing is signposted, I would
rather map the road markers nearby (if any).

Funfact, in Rome there is one road, "Via Trionfale",
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_Trionfale which has housenumbers
(contrary to the rest of the city) that indicate the distance from the
capitol hill measured at the axxis of the street, so the highest
housenumber reaches 14500.
Example: https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3393609605

Cheers
Martin