I compare it with the Via Francigena in Italy. That route is very well
signposted, but even if it were not, you would see signs of its existence
and importance in road names, milestones, names and signs of dwellings and
café's along the way. There are self-registration points on the way,
resting places with a pilgrim sign. And yes, all the locals know it and
will point you to it. You'll get complete local history lectures with it,
which I would not record in OSM though :) .

Vr gr Peter Elderson