"sign having a hospital icon and no name can simply be tagged
type=destination_sign + amenity=hospital"
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:destination_sign

For me it seems a horrible and unacceptable tagging - amenity=hospital should
be on hospitals
and nothing else.

Is it just me, or is this sentiment shared by others?

I encountered an editor issue caused by type=destination_sign relation
and at this moment I plan to consider it as a tagging issue, eliminate tag
(railway=station in this case)
and add to wiki info that such tagging is at best proplematic.

But I want to check is my opinion shared by other - maybe anyone processing any
data needs
to add type!=destination_sign checks.