On 10/11/2019 16:53, Greg Troxel wrote:

So I agree these tags should be kept separate.

I'm struggling to comprehend how a question I deliberately kept simple at just one sentence long can cause so much misinterpretation.

  As for emergency= and
amenity=, that's a historical artifact and doesn't matter.

That just makes it historically wrong. Being incorrect for a long time isn't a reason not to fix it. Having two different keys to describe entities which come under the heading 'emergency services' is confusing to experienced OSMers let alone newbies.

As emergency=ambulance_station appears to be a later invention, was there a valid reason fire_station did follow suit?

DaveF