Interesting. I've watched a fair amount of British media coverage about the horrific human trafficking a couple of weeks back and noticed the repeated use of lorry. In this Sky News segment they say vehicle (comprising of tractor and container) and lorry, but they aren't saying truck once.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo_SpJPJSs4