Andy Townsend <ajt1...@gmail.com>:

> Michael Behrens:
>

> There is no unique way to tag roles in hiking route relations
>
> I'd suggest making it clear that that table is currently for way members
> only - it doesn't mention node members (start, end, marker, etc.).  This
> may be deliberate, or you just haven't expanded it yet, but I'd definitely
> mention node members.
>
>  Also, i guess backward and forward roles are for ways only, the other
roles are more suited for relation members. Or not? Could I enter all the
ways of a 3 Km  medieval castle excursion to a viewpoint into the hiking
relation holding the ways of the main route, each with the 'excursion'
role? I think this should be explicit.

It seems to me that use of these roles leads to relations containing
non-contiguous trails. I would call those relations collections rather than
routes. Processing non-contiguous routes presents extra challenges for
processing such as exporting routes and making elevation profiles.