if all the ideas for roles in routes are combined, you will need multiple roles
for the relation members.
When a member of a cycling route relation is tagged as a waterway or a railway,
isn't that all the information you need to know it's a transfer? If the member
is a relation, you could tag it with the transport mode. So the network tag for
the section would remain for example ncn, and add a tag to indicate it's e.g. a
train transfer.

Fr Gr Peter Elderson