On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 at 15:05, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I agree that earthwork reinforcement may be out of scope here, but the
> term "surface" as you read it seems to comprise the first feet of earth,
> while I would read it as the surface in contact with air (no thickness,
> just a surface), or in other words, if the sheets are the topmost thing
> before the air of the atmosphere, surface would be fine, if there is a thin
> layer of soil and plants are growing above, it would not be.

As I understood the original post, it described sheets between the ground
and
the air.  Sub-surface erosion sheets will allow sand above them to be blown
away and soil above them to be washed away, so won't stay sub-surface
for long (so wouldn't be put sub-surface in the first place).  Sub-surface
weed prevention sheets will allow weed seeds to establish in the soil
above them and weed roots will penetrate through them, so they won't
be very effective.

Others may have, but I don't think I wrote anything stating that I
considered the proposed tag to apply to anything that wasn't strictly,
visibly, a surface feature.

> Also the in the earth layers of erosion reduction may be observable (e.g.
> during construction, after completion punctually, when damaged or when
> digging, etc.)

If there are multiple sub-surface layers they're mechanical stabilization,
not
erosion control (these are two VERY different things).  They may potentially
be verifiable (from records) and they may potentially be mapable (under
some circumstances, perhaps, maybe) but they're NOT surface features unless
they're on the surface.

--
Paul