Florimond Berthoux <florimond.berth...@gmail.com>:

> No, I'm not talking about cycling on a sidewalk (I don't know why you
> thought that ??), I discuss continuous sidewalk and continuous cycleway
> together because it's the same layout, the same problem.

Ok, my bad. Separate tagging for continuous sidewalk and continuous
cycleway.

> And I'm doing that because I'm interesting in cycling infrastructure more
> than others.
> For instance this is a typical dutch continuous sidewalk/cycleway
> https://www.mapillary.com/app/?lat=52.3608851685737&lng=4.867902368825185&z=17&pKey=ru8z7_PBx5Ao2LU6TX2XfQ&focus=photo&x=0.4098509000113021&y=0.620642840587665&zoom=0

I know the spot, and places like it. Cycleways in Nederland can have all
kinds of separation from the ways they run along, and indeed sometimes
(most often not) they are elevated. If there was no continuous sidewalk at
that spot, the continuity of the cycleway would not mean or implicate
anything. It just telss people to expect bicycles. Cycleways along roads
are often not discontinued for lower order crossing roads. There are no
rules about that. Traffic from the right have priority.
It is totally different from continuous foot pavement, which creates a
pedestrian area where traffic is allowed if necessary, but needs to give
way.
In the spot shown, I would not mark the cycleway as continuous,  because it
does not make any difference if the red colour paving is interrupted or
not, and also the kerb does not make a difference. I would mark the
sidewalk as continuous because that makes a real deifferance for traffic
and pedestrians.
Traffic form the lesser road has to give way to all other traffic when
leaving the area. So the cyclists profit from the continuous sidewalk.
Again, the kerb or elevation or lining or surface of the cycleway does not
matter. If there was no kerb, no elavation , and discontinued surface
colour, it would be exactly the same.

I don't know if that is the case only in Nederland. But I can tell you,
continuous cycleway will not give any  information other than that the
cycleway is there. Anything you might want to deduct from that (traffic
calming, access, prioryity) will need extra tagging. Assuming that certain
rules are implied would be wrong in Nederland. In contrast, continous
sidewalk is very common and very real here, and does imply rules.