That can be a problem. If I survey streets on ground it is problematic
if it is tagged in such way. Then I struggle with a map app that show me
the surface, but with no visible difference between a sett or similar
surface or just surface=paved. Additionally I use StreetComple to find
missing surfaces. Surfaces mapped in such way you use are not considered
as a missing surface. When are are more than just a few mapper in the
country, it is better to omit surfaces if you was not at the place to
find the right value. Some other mapper will do it later. But it is more
difficult to find places with need for a specific surface tag, if there
are already „raw“ values. Mapping works as team work, everybody do a
small part. You should just omit things if you can not be sure.

Regards

Sebastian