Jez Nicholson wrote:
> Whilst I'm firmly against tracking codes, we could give the benefit of
> the doubt and assume that they just cut-and-paste the URL and did
> not intend to place tracking.

Yes. And we don't even need to do that: we can verify it with about 30
seconds' Googling.

Looking at https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/156041136, website= has been
set to

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/bhxsadi-doubletree-stratford-upon-avon/?WT.mc_id=zVSEC0GB1DT2NaturalSearch3GoogleMyBusiness4luau-SAU_Aug5luau6BHXSADI7EN8i1

Now, if you Google "Hilton Stratford-upon-Avon", and copy the link from the
"Website" button on the right, you get:

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/bhxsadi-doubletree-stratford-upon-avon/?WT.mc_id=zVSEC0GB1DT2NaturalSearch3GoogleMyBusiness4luau-SAU_Aug5luau6BHXSADI7EN8i1

It's the same link. Every character.

So they're clearly not trying to track visitors expressly from OSM, they've
just copied the URL. Where they've copied it from we don't know (they might
have an internal spreadsheet of URLs, or they might have just Googled their
own property - stranger things have happened).

cheers
Richard

--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Tagging-f5258744.html