On 2/26/2020 4:59 PM, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
It's also possible to have a functioning petroleum well without any notable
surface-level equipment

So in that case, there would be no "pumping rig", right? There would
just be some pipes and valves the the wellhead, aka a "Christmas
tree": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellhead and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Completion_(oil_and_gas_wells)

Do you know if all "pumping rigs" are similar in appearance to a
pumpjack, or are there others that look quite different?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpjack - I've seen many of these in
California and Texas.

Christmas tree, yes, exactly! But they're not all quite that elaborate.
Sometimes they look more like fire hydrants. And I guess that goes
against my claim of "no notable surface-level equipment" because lots of
people like to map fire hydrants.

The pumpjacks are what I know -- I'm no expert but it's a safe
assumption that there are other designs out there.