On 3/5/2020 9:27 AM, Peter Elderson wrote:
Do you know trails with detached sections? We have some in Nederland,
on the islands. Doesn't fit in the proposed role scheme, I think.

Vr gr Peter Elderson

See this section of the E10 in Czechia (
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5465693 ) -- there's no
connection between these three sections of trail, and I don't know if
there ever will be. I think the E* European long-distance trails have a
lot of these discontiguous sections.

In the USA I know of the North Country Trail, which is very incompletely
mapped in OSM ( https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/8808051 ). Much
of it is made up of other trails. Unlike other long-distance trails, the
North Country Trail doesn't claim to be contiguous on a micro level, and
has hundreds of disjoined sections. It shares a lot of physical trail
with the Finger Lakes Trail in New York State, but (by my understanding)
in a conceptually different way: The Finger Lakes Trail aims to be
contiguous and will consider a half mile (or much more in some cases)
walk along a residential road between two sections of wilderness to be
part of the route. The North Country Trail will include the sections of
hiking trail through both of the wilderness portions, but will not
include the road walk. When you step onto the road, you've left the
North Country Trail but you're still on the Finger Lakes Trail. Once you

Jason