Thank you for sharing your thoughts 🙂

06-Mar-2020 17:40:23 Andrew Harvey :

> I think including the actual route is useful and makes life easier for
> downstream users (they don't need a routing engine to show the route), could
> this be optional so you can create a public transport route relation via
> waypoints only if you prefer as a starting point, but then still allow it to
> be completed via the way members.
> A bit like how most things can be initially mapped as a node but then are
> usually expanded out into an area.

I'm afraid I'm against that idea, personally. I've mapped nearly 70 bus routes
in my city (and counting); I'm still their lone maintainer; I have also dabbled
with mapping railway routes. So many relations with so many ways - especially
highways, which are the first things newbies edit and thus are the most likely
to break a relation - are an enormous maintenance bomb waiting to go off. (And
sometimes it does go off, and the fallout goes on for months.)

Besides - while I have never written a router or a renderer - I imagine that
having to support both types of relations (PTv3 as well as v2) would create
additional technical debt for routers and renderers.

> Secondly I don't quite understand the no way member rule of your proposal,
> since railways platforms should be a way
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway=platform
> [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway=platform] then including the
> platform in the relation means you need to include ways as relation members.

Thank you for pointing that out. The ways it referred to were highways and
railways - it has, of course, no objection to platforms as ways or areas. I
have reworded the section, hopefully it is clearer.