Hi

IMO pond should not be mapped because it is not observable on the ground. How do you determine if it is
"artificially created"/"man made"?
See:

A pond <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pond>: a body of standing water, man-made in most cases, that is usually smaller than a lake.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:water%3Dpond

Lake: a body of relatively still fresh or salt water, localized in a basin that is surrounded by land. Artificially created lakes are tagged aswater <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:water>=pond <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:water%3Dpond>orwater <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:water>=reservoir <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:water%3Dreservoir>. Intermittent lakes (which disappear seasonally) should be tagged withintermittent <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:intermittent>=yes; salt lakes — withsalt <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:salt>=yes.https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:water%3Dlake

As it stands right now in the wiki I suggest we either deprecate the tag completely or change the definition to something that is observable on the ground.

WDYT?