On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 05:19, Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe yet another tag mail_address=* ???  (I can hear the hair pulling
> from here, thanks.)

I'll try to grow some so I can pull it out.

What is the key addr for?

> For physical addresses only?
>
> If not, what else OR ?

Traditional paper maps could, at best, show only physical addresses.
You'd see the name of the nearest street and the house would have
a number.  Sometimes the address you assumed from that info
would be wrong, because the address reflects older road
layouts and is anomalous when looking at the modern
layout (I have a few of those in my town, where the actual
address is not what you'd think).  Even the largest scale
paper maps didn't identify businesses (except you might
occasionally see something like "Depot" but without a
clue as to what sort of depot).

But we've moved on.  We expect our maps to identify shops.  Not
just by name but by type, often showing the specific product
categories.  We often tag opening hours of shops, perhaps
a URL to a web page/site, ID of hygiene certificate, etc.
None of these things are available on traditional paper
maps but we add them because they're useful (and,
perhaps, in some cases because it's what Google
Maps does and we'd like to be seen as an alternative
to them, but Google Maps added them because they
were useful).

So is PO box, etc. useful?  Yep.  One of the parcel
delivery companies noted for delivering to the wrong
address (Hermes and DHL, I'm looking at you) has
dumped a package outside my door.  The address is
PO Box 123.  Which of the houses near me has that
mailing address?

I've just realized I cannot grow hair on demand.  How about
addr:mail or addr:delivery?

--
Paul