Please leave the description vague. Every one of us will be able to come up
with a list of "squares" that don't fulfil the criteria we will define.
They often have the role of landmarks for the population, long after the
original square (as empty space for the people) has disappeared.

Or maybe a completely different approach could bring all the different
meanings into one framework:
place=square
plus
suare:type=

The square type values could handle all the regional variants, including
using the local type names.

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>