sent from a phone

> On 6. Apr 2020, at 16:51, Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> or use https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API/Permanent_ID
>
> I didn't even know that existed.  I'm not sure I trust such IDs to survive
> intensive editing by newbies who can delete an object then add it
> with quite different tags.

these IDs are defined through their significant properties, if these get
“messed up” you may hope that someone else will fix it sooner or later.

 Compared to this, an ID_mySpecial_App=123 tag has much more potential for
breakage, because following editors don’t know what it refers to (e.g. the
physical place or the business/service?), and often don’t know how to deal with
it when some properties have changed, or when they split them: keep it on all
parts, some parts or remove it? To solve this you’d have to know what
mySpecialApp does and how it uses the IDs.

And we’d end up with a lot of different opaque foreign keys cluttering up the
same objects, in some cases, even if we required the linked db to be free and
open.
On the other hand there are already people adding references to proprietary
databases, e.g. 80000 facebook urls, 2000 google ids, 500 foursquare. The trick
is to offer message relaying and use a contact: tag ;-)

Cheers Martin