Although I also see a lot of overlap, I could imagine public buildings to be a
bigger category of which civic buildings are only a part, according to your
culture and context, one could imagine public buildings that aren’t civic
buildings such as churches and temples.

I could also imagine people using building=civic for civic centers, which I
understand to be a specific kind of civic building?

Generally I would recommend adding more specific values, like building=townhall
/ theatre / market / office / hospital / post_office / courthouse / parliament
etc. because public building is a category that could make sense from a
rendering or statistical point of view, but for a detailed geo database it
would be worth providing a bit more of information. I’d rather see it as a
fixme than encouraging mappers to use it.

Cheers Martin