On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 06:58:55PM +0100, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Apr 2020 at 18:46, Mike Thompson <miketh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I have always been under the impression that the highway tag should be
> > based off of function.  Recently I have come across a number of cases
> > where driveways and residential roads were tagged "highway=track"
> > (perhaps because they are unpaved?), e.g. [0].  Before I change these,
> > I wanted to check with the rest of the community.
> >

> It is not uncommon around this part of Wales for farms to have service
> roads leading to them that barely qualify as a track.  If it's functioning
> as a service road or driveway,   Those are tough calls.

I would not be comfortable tagging very rough tracks as anything but a track:
if it requires a 4 wheel drive or agricultural vehicle to negotiate.
I think a "road" normally implies navigation with a standard vehicle is
possible. In general that implies at least some sort of paving. I would
not be happy if someone changed a UK track into something else unless
they have established that it had a proper surface.

ael