Am Mo., 4. Mai 2020 um 13:10 Uhr schrieb Simon Poole <si...@poole.ch>:

> The previous versions of the page in particular the one that was actually
> voted on (in 2007) does -not- have that reference, see also
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:ele for discussion on the
> issue back to 2007.

yes, it is true that the original proposal in 2007 didn't have this
reference. But it was quite common at that time (think about it, in the
first 4 months, only 5 people have voted on the proposal), that some time
later, like in 2008, a tag definition was refined after discussion, when it
had turned out that there had been some omissions in the original draft.

The discussion about the geodetic datum in 2007 is indeed already pointing
at the problem of the reference, but I only see one person (inas) arguing
in favor of the ellipsoid.

> As to the original page being German, well that 2007 is the time the
> German speaking community discovered OSM and started what actually turned
> it in to a success. Pretending that things didn't happen because they were
> originally in German at the time, is negating large bits of OSMs history.

still it would also be neglecting reality to say that the Germans had the
Definitionshochheit for the global use of the ele tag in 2007. People who
didn't speak German, or who didn't read the wiki in all of its detail, will
have used the tag with their own idea what it means. IMHO you can't say the
global usage of "ele" today is in any way influenced by what was written on
a wiki page called de:altitude in 2007.

So the question is how we can solve this. We could discourage the use of
the "naked ele" and encourage to always use a more specific subtag, e.g.

- ele:egm96= to mean ele referring to the EGM96 geoid
- ele:wgs84= to mean ele based on the WGS84 ellipsoid (or maybe
"ele:ellipsoid" which would imply the WGS84 ellipsoid?)
and whichever height reference system is used, e.g.
- ele:dhhn92
- ele:tm75
and more: https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=ele%3A

- ele:regional for "I have no idea but it was written on a sign", could
still be a way to be expressive about the reliability. For many use cases
+- 50m is better than no information. We could also keep "ele" for this
like you suggested, although it wouldn't be explicit then.

Cheers
Martin