I understand the concerns. I reworded:
excursion A signposted side track which rejoins the main track at or close
to the point where it left, e.g. to visit a place of interest. The
excursion is an optional addition to the main route.
It's topology and purpose at the same time, where purpose can vary a lot
but usually is about a POI, a viewpoint or something else worth the extra
miles.I hope the idea comes across now.

Best, Peter Elderson