Yeah, I'm sure it can differ quite a lot from country to country. I live in
Sweden, where we have very good official sources for roads from
LantmÀteriet and Trafikverket, that some Swedish navigation services are
using. I also feel that Google Maps is very far ahead in terms of updating
main roads.

OSM depends on volunteers who have to know about the information of new or
changed roads and then use their time to add it to the map. Even though the
road network is available as open data, it's not easy to know what's
missing or incorrectly mapped. There are a few Swedish mappers who are
likely aware of such updates on a national level, but on a local level it
very much depends if there are mappers in that particular area. And even
then, a lot of details about routing restrictions, footways, cycleways etc.
may not make it to OSM, simply because there's not a structured way of
checking the OSM data vs official open data sources.

But the question wasn't about how good OSM is for car navigation, but about
differentiating different kinds of "paths".

In Sweden we also have the "freedom to roam" or "everyman's right", which
basically mean we can walk anywhere. There are lots of paths
everywhere that are not on any official map, but are added to OSM. Even in
other countries hiking paths are added in a way that they were not during
the years of the path controversy. And there are both renderers and
services offered for hiking that may be lacking data due to the difficulty
of differentiating different kinds of paths.

Until there's a better solution, I suppose this will be a never-ending
discussion. :D But nevertheless, it's a very important discussion, since
it's confusing both mappers and data consumers.

/Daniel