May 23, 2020, 20:41 by kevin.b.ke...@gmail.com:

> On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 4:31 AM Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging
> <tagging@openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>
>> It is extremely rare - if there is single access road to a private residence
>> then it is a driveway no matter whatever it is paved asphalt road or
>> something that requires tractor to pass.
>>
>> Maybe it would matter in case where there is one road used as driveway and
>> second road that may be used to access property but is unused, possibly due
>> poor state.
>>
>> But that would because one functions as driveway and one not.
>> In case of people using worse-quality road as a driveway
>> and not using better quality road as a driveway
>> the tagging also should follow function and road used as driveway
>> should be tagged as driveway.
>>

> The case that I scratch my head over is a road whose primary purpose
> is farming or forestry, but that is also the path of access to
> someone's cabin.

OK, I agree that this one is tricky, and this case is more complicated.
I limited my discussion to single use roads (either track or driveway),
because I was trying to attack "something used solely as driveway
but low quality may not be tagged as a driveway" what is clearly wrong.

I forgot about this case where something is actually both driveway and both
track.

>  You seem to be saying that the presence of a dwelling
> trumps all other uses, but that doesn't make sense to me.  Some of the
> cabins on inholdings in the forests around here are accessed by ATV or
> snowmobile, depending on the season, because the road has deteriorated
> beyond what a typical SUV can handle. (No, they don't get Amazon
> deliveries.)

This problem is just avoided by my formulation
(or maybe holiday cabin still counts as a residence?).

But in some cases you have one house or one isolated group of
houses deep in a forest.

In this case I would say that last stage (road connecting this dwelling
to the forest track system) is highway=service, service=driveway,
without downgrading entire forest track system to a driveway status.

So maybe my claim should be
"something used solely or primarily as a driveway is a driveway,
no matter its physical characteristics (surface, lane count, smoothness,
access, ownership).

And therefore tagged as highway=service service=driveway"
?