I missed the voting deadline.-my apologies.

I only today had time to look for official EU documentation and found this EU
fact sheet
<https://ec.europa.eu/energy/intelligent/projects/sites/iee-projects/files/projects/documents/presto_fact_sheet_legislation_en.pdf>
that clearly supports the Wikipedia article I quoted earlier.
They use the term "electrical cycle" or "electrical bike" clearly for three
different types of vehicle and state that this is binding for all EU
countries (for a quick overview see the row of images in the upper part of
page 2.)
So, PLEASE lets reconsider this, even if already voted.

But even more generally, I fear we make a big mistake  introducing asny ny
tags for electrical bicycles. For access purpose we do not need neither of
the two new approved tags, at least in the EU, as the terms are clearly
mapped on existing categories:

   - a Pedelec is a Bicycle,
   - an S-pedelec is a Light Moped,
   - an E-bike with an accelerator grip is a Moped

We already have the keys bicycle, mofa (which I presume is a Light Moped in
OSM), and moped, so in which situations do you want to use the new tag
(apart form the naming error) highlighted above. The lawmakers have
deliberately mapped the new electrified bikes onto existing categories in
order not to have to rewrite all regulations.

Can you indicate any situation where the new tags will be used and the
existing categories don't work?

Of the examples given on the proposal page, only the the rental example may
need a new tag, even though we have already capacity:electric
For the Tuebingen example one could use moped:electric=yes
The same construction would work for the Belgium example.

By the way a similar problem must exist for motor_vehicles in general, with
the added complication that there may be more qualifiers: (fully electric,
hybrid, Diesel, petrol, and others) ....

Regards

Volker

Volker