Am Mi., 10. Juni 2020 um 14:09 Uhr schrieb Kevin Kenny <
kevin.b.ke...@gmail.com>:

> As far as I know, all routers need the node if they're going to, for
> instance, present a warning to an approaching motorist or cyclist that
> the crossing is impending. But some attributes of the crossing (most
> notably, its full geometry!) can belong only to a way.

+1, I am doing it usually like this:
highway=footway (or cycleway) and footway=crossing on the way (from kerb to
kerb).
highway=crossing and crossing=traffic_signals / zebra / uncontrolled etc.
on each intersection node of the street(s) with the crossing way.

i.e. there is no "highway=crossing" or "crossing=*" on the way, instead the
crossing information there is conveyed as a kind of footway.

Cheers
Martin