On 09/07/2020 21.51, Warin wrote:
On 9/7/20 12:44 am, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
both is possible, each one can own a precise list of apartments, or both can own 50% of all apartments.

Here apartments are usually sold separately, each as a title dead.
Other than 100% ownership it would be highly unusual for a  50% ownership other than by the entire thing being owned by a firm and an individual/firm owning 50% of the 100% owning firm.

FWIW, and while we're at the point of arguing definitions and not how we should do things in OSM, a unit that is *sold* is not an "apartment" in America.

- Apartment: The larger property, including habitable units, is owned by some entity. Units are leased.

- Condominium: The larger property / building exterior is owned by some entity. Units are deeded and sold. (Unit owners may in turn lease the units they own.) Unit owners typically must pay dues to an association which maintains the exterior and grounds. Unit owners are not legally responsible for the building exterior or grounds

- Townhouse: Units are deeded and sold. (Unit owners may in turn lease the units they own.) Unit owners typically must pay dues to an association which maintains the exterior and grounds. However, unit owners also own a land parcel which contains their unit and associated grounds, and have some degree of legally responsibility for their portion of the building and grounds.

- Row house: The parcel grounds and all structures thereon are owned by an individual or entity (which may lease the residence or portions thereof). Said owners are fully responsible for all building exteriors and grounds on their lot. However, the structures may share walls with other structures on adjacent parcels.

- Semi-detached house: A set of row houses with exactly two connected units. (IMO this is a somewhat stupid distinction likely created by realtors for marketing purposes.)

- Detached house: The parcel grounds and all structures thereon are owned by an individual or entity (which may lease the residence or portions thereof).

Note that the line between a detached house, flats, and apartments can get pretty blurry, especially when you start running into things like buildings that were constructed as single-family dwellings and have been converted into apartments. However, if we ignore the case of converted single-family homes, I think we can be non-ambiguous.

Those are the specific, *legal* categories of which I know. We can argue about what to call those categories (different locations may assign the names differently), but IMHO those are the categories that (at a minimum; it's entirely possible there are others I'm not familiar with) make sense to model/tag.

--
Matthew