On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 at 15:41, Matthew Woehlke <mwoehlke.fl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 10/07/2020 09.32, Paul Allen wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 at 14:10, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> >> barren is horrible as it can be easily interpreted as including also
> paved
> >> surfaces,
> >
> > Ummm, not really.  Not in British English.  I'd never describe paved
> > surfaces as barren.  Technically, I suppose they are, but they don't
> > fit my mental category of barren.
>
> As someone who desperately wishes his gravel driveway *was* barren, I'm
> afraid I'm inclined to agree with Mateusz Konieczny :-).

How about the roof of your house?  Unless there's moss growing on it,
is it barren?  The road your house is on, is that barren?  The car park
in town, is that barren?  Maybe it's just my idiosyncratic view of the
world again, but "barren" implies to me that there is a reasonable
expectation that plants might grow there.

BTW, my tiny back garden has so-called ornamental gravel (my
landlord is to blame for that).  I call it "weed compost."

--
Paul